When we hear American food, the first thing that comes to our mind is oily fat and junk food but also mouth-watering names such as sandwiches, hamburgers, fries, chicken nuggets, pizza and other food made by fast-food shops. We also think it could affect our weight, so whether we are on diet or not, we calculate calories of these types of food. You might doubt if someone told you that these are not the only American dishes, and unbelievably, they do not make you fat.
Each of the fifty states composing the United States of America have their own food specialties, which are mostly healthy. Here is a list of ten healthy food specialties you can find in the States:
- The cobb salad: Yes, Americans have salad as main specialty. Composed mostly of fruits and vegetables especially lettuce, avocado, romaine, tomatoes, watercress; some chicken breast, egg, chives, cheese, and French dressing also are part of the ingredients for this appetizing salad that won't make you fat.
- The pot roast: Eating meat and steak don't make you fat. Meat contains protein that we need to get energy and sculpt our body. This dish is made by mixing potatoes, carrots, onions, and meat into which simmering juice or wine is added.
- Jerky: It consists of some dehydrated meat. It is healthy because it contains high-protein. The plus is that it can replace some snacks because it's easy to carry, even in a little bag.
- Banana split: Health advisors tell us that it's healthy to eat five fruits and vegetables a day. Banana split will be one on your day's portion, easy to make: a mixture of bananas, blackberries, cherries and some Chantilly cream or a chocolate ice-cream. However, you have to be moderate with the chocolate and Chantilly cream to keep the banana split healthy.
- The GORP: Good Old Raisins and Peanuts were a favorite snack in Europe, but it has become one of the American's most eaten snacks. Despite its fat content, it won't make anyone fat because peanuts are full of fuel that the body needs and that exercise burns.
- Jambalaya: It is basically a food composed of meat, vegetables like celery, pepper, onions and rice. Sometimes, they add corns to make it tastier, accompanied by pieces of shrimp.
- The buffalo wings: Don't be misled by the name, it's no part of a buffalo; it's chicken wings. It's a New York specialty. Americans even have a National Buffalo Wing Event when Buffalo hosts many restaurateurs from everywhere in the world to show their specialties.
- Green Chile Stew: It's made with pork and greens, for stews and soft food lovers.
How can we get these foods?
Starving for these foods? Take this advice: go to America or taste them in the American market or restaurants. You will be satisfied. However, it might not always be easy to find those restaurants when we are hungry.
Here is an easy solution: visit the first online travel agency: eDreams. It provides all information about hotels and restaurants where you can find these American healthy foods. You have a blog about food in the world ? eDreams can help you make money out of it!
All you do is type your preferences, the place where you are and order the kind of food you want. eDreams is not only about preparing ticket for travel or cars, it's also for finding places for food, delicious food that customers and travelers could taste. Find your food mate and go.
Furthermore, studies show that it's not the quantity of food that makes us fat, but rather the quality and it's not necessarily fat food that makes us fat but the additional stress we bear while eating. Eat smart, stay healthy!